What are St. Augustine Lions? | St. Augustine, Florida
The St. Augustine Lions guard the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine, Florida.
They're on the west end of the bridge and face toward the historic section of the city, also called the Old City.
The lions are sculpted of Italian Carrara marble.
Dr. Andrew Anderson, a former mayor of St. Augustine, commissioned the lions to be sculpted in Italy when the Bridge of Lions was being constructed. Sadly, Dr. Anderson didn't live to see the lions he donated to the city installed on the bridge in 1927.
The lions are named File et Firme, or Spanish for Faithful and Firm. They're the icons of the Old City and the most photographed attraction in St. Augustine.
Faithful Enjoys Chatting with Faithful
We're pleased to offer the first and only small marble replicas of the lions for your home. They resemble the lions on the bridge in every way, down to the inscriptions lightly imprinted along their sides. They're also made of Italian Carrara marble, just like the lions on the bridge are made of.