Where is the Bridge of Lions? | St. Augustine, Florida
The Bridge of Lions is in the City of St. Augustine in the Northeastern part of Florida in the USA.
The bridge spans the Intracoastal Waterway and connects St. Augustine, Florida to Anastasia Island.
It's a double-leaf bascule bridge, sometimes called a drawbridge.
Construction on the bridge began in 1925 and was completed in 1927. It was soon dubbed the Most Beautiful Bridge in Dixie.
It's on the National Register of Historic Places.
Before the Bridge of Lions was built, there was a wooden bridge called "The Bridge to Anastasia Island."
There are two lion statues guarding the bridge. They face the historic section of St. Augustine, sometimes called the Old CIty. They were donated to the city, specifically for the bridge, by Dr. Andrew Anderson, a former mayor of the city. He commissioned the lions to be sculpted of white Italian Carrara marble in Italy. Sadly, Dr. Anderson didn't live to see the lions installed on the bridge.
The bridge is named for the lions that grace it. The lions are named File et Firme, or Spanish for Faithful & Firm. The lions are the icons of the Old City and the most photographed attraction in St. Augustine.
We are pleased to offer the first and only small marble replicas of the lions on the bridge for your home. They resemble the lions on the bridge in every way, down to the inscriptions lightly imprinted along their sides. The replicas are made of Italian Carrara marble, just like the lions on the bridge.