Bridge of Lions Lion Talk Blog

St. Augustine's New Lions

Two new lions were donated to the City of St. Augustine.

On July 2nd, 2015 St. Augustine's new lions were unveiled at the eastern end of the Bridge of Lions in Davis Park on Anastasia Island.

They were gifted to the City of St. Augustine by Wolfgang and Miki Schau, residents of Davis Shores on the island.

Like many others, the Schaus fell in love with the bridge and the lions guarding it. They first set eyes on the bridge as they approached it in their catamaran in 2010. They have called St. Augustine home since.

The Unveiling

The unveiling was well-attended by local residents. Mayor Nancy Shaver as well as other dignitaries were there.

St. Augustine's new lions are made of granite and were carved in Florence, Italy. St. Augustine's new lions are not intended to be exact replicas of the original lion. Rather, they are considered a sister set. 

Some damage occurred to the lions on the trip over from Europe and repairs were necessary before the unveiling.

The lions have not yet been officially named by the city, but the Schaus’ wish is for them to be named Pax y Peli or Latin for Peace and Happiness.

Jeff and I felt privileged to attend the ceremony and we're very grateful to the Schaus for their most generous donation. We find ourselves biking to Davis Park more often these days to sit and enjoy the beautiful additions to the park. We love the names the Schaus have suggested for the statues and think it's likely the City will honor their wishes. The names of the original lions are Fiele y Firme or Latin for Firm and Faithful. We think the names for the new lions will be a perfect complement. It's clear the Schaus gave a lot of thought to the names.

Old Town Trolley generously gave free rides to and from the park for the celebration.


Now you can have your own St. Augustine Lion statuettes just like the original lions on the bridge. Cast in Carrara marble just like the original lions, they'll also have this inscription along their bases:

P.DE.L. 1513 ST.AUGUSTINE  1924 

The same inscription as on the lions on the bridge
Learn more at Medici Lion statuettes